Friday, 20 April 2012

I'd rather be fishing

Usually when I am not actively playing a game I don't pay that much attention to what is going on with it.  Terrible I know.  For example, I did not know that Rift had introduced fishing in their last patch until I was talking to Shannon this morning.  You can see where this is going to go can't you?  Yep.  Fishing.

I am a huge fan of in game fishing (but only in game.  Real life fishing is pants).  I have spent the most time fishing in WoW but after trying out Rift's this morning I can see that it would be quite gratifying as well.  I made a short video showing fishing in Rift and WoW.  You may need to turn up the sound.  My mic was turned down rather low when recording.



I am also a fan of LOTRO fishing because you can have your catches mounted and then displayed in your house thereby taking two loves (decorating and fishing) and combining them.  Voilà!

A random dwarf and his stuffed fish. LOTRO.


The mechanics are all basically the same with slight variations.  EQ2's fishing wasn't the kind of fishing that you could do for hours to get a nifty pet or mount.  It was treated like any other resource such as a mining node, shrub or a log. I didn't ever bother with fishing in Vanguard: Saga of Heroes so nothing to report there but from what I have seen it doesn't appear to be anything that different than the other games already mentioned  it appears to be very complicated.  Thanks to the ever lovely Petter for pointing out the finer details to me.  Except EQ2.  EQ2 fishing was/is just rubbish.

No comments:

Post a Comment