Saturday, 21 April 2012

Diablo III-Open Beta

Diablo III open beta is happening this weekend. Normally, I wouldn't give this a second thought as this genre of game isn't something I play or have any desire to play. However, I decided to give it a try as it was a small download and I thought at the very least I'd have something to bitch about.  I mean blog.  Something to blog about.

I was expecting to hate it.  Top down view and click to move couldn't be less appealing. I was wrong.  Really really wrong.  Diablo III is easily the most fun I have had in a game in a while.

When I logged on to character creation I knew right away the demon hunter was for me.  She looks so insanely bad ass. She reminds me of Sylvanas Windrunner who is my pick for top female bad assery in a video game.  I named my demon hunter and away we went.  Kind of.  There are some issues starting a new game so it took a few tries but I got in the game eventually. It is beta afterall.  These things happen.

Demon Hunter-Diablo III


After seeing how awesome the characters looked and the overall vibe of the character creation screen,I decided I would leave my preconceived notions at the door about click to move and the top down view.  I didn't need to.  Diablo III would have changed my mind with or without it being open.

The controls are surprisingly simple. Combat is a blast with plenty of mobs to keep it challenging.  Moving is a breeze.  The click to move and combat flow together seamlessly. Luckily, I had seen Richard play Torchlight and knew about the stash and the enormous amount of loot one acquires.

Ian finally woke up and we decided to try co-play.  It was brilliant. Ian filled me in on some of the finer points of this type of game and how to craft, where to buy certain things, etc..  Having played Wow extensively, the interface and short-cut keys were very familiar.

 I've made a short video of us killing the final boss of the beta. Unfortunately, my voice didn't record but Ian does enough babbling for the both of us.  He isn't talking to himself  you just can't hear me.


We still have tomorrow to play and will get more videos made of the different classes. The witch doctor looks interesting so I think I will give that a try.

I will definitely be purchasing this game.  Definitely.

1 comment:

  1. Great video! :) Like I said on Twitter, you can just hear Merry faintly in the background! Can't wait to see the next one! :D - Mal

    ReplyDelete