Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Naga-licious

I wonder how much time I have spent in various games killing naga.  Way back in 2005 when my rogue was at the level cap I used to spend hours farming naga for golden pearls.  They were worth a small fortune at that time.  To this day, I still can farm naga with abandon.

What is a naga you ask.  Glad you did because, I, in my usual half arsed fashion, have the answer for you.  Obviously the basis for the monster naga found in RPGs and MMOs alike is:

Nāga is the Sanskrit and Pāli word for a deity or class of entity or being, taking the form of a very great snake—specifically the King Cobra, found in Hinduism and Buddhism.-Wikipedia


D&D naga
 According to the First Wife's Tale the Everquest II naga were wives of The Master, a Djini.  He changed them into snake bodied women for the crime of malicious gossip.  They seem to be found in desert locations or underground lairs. That is where I remember finding them at any rate.
Everquest II
World of Warcraft naga are mutated Night Elves.  Highborne really.  They are exclusively found in or near water.  They are led by Lady Vashj also once highborne and Queen Azshara's chief handmaiden. I remember this being a pretty chaotic fight in Serpentshrine Cavern (at the level cap of 70).
Runes of Magic's nagas also seem to be water based and I suppose are casters and/or warriors as well given that RoM is the ghetto version of WoW. I never encountered a naga in RoM so this is purely speculation.  


WoW even named a naga after me.  Okay it is supposed to be a mermaiden but Blizzard does love to recycle their artwork.  Oh and my name is spelled wrong. It is M E R E D I T H.


I would think DDO would have naga but I've not ever seen one nor can I find any reference to there being naga. Though I did stumble upon a very bad ass looking naga in Tera of all games. Online while researching.  I wasn't actually playing Tera.
Jungle Naga (not the official name)
Rift has naga type creatures as well though I can't remember what they are called and the internet isn't helping me.  I believe they were also desert dwellers but near the water. I am almost certain there are naga in Shimmersands.  Maybe.  I don't know.  Which means I am left no choice but to "draw" a Rift naga.  From memory mind you.


Totally accurate depiction of a naga creature in Rift.  

3 comments:

  1. You missed the Guild Wars naga :-) http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Naga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice drawing, and yet still better than anything I could do lol.

    ReplyDelete