Friday, 20 January 2012

To catch a thief

Tuesday is my first paper and pen gaming session, outside of character creation, in about twenty years.  I am, as I always have, going to play a thief.  Now my character isn't exactly as I would have her but that is the roll of the dice.  She, Alys, is 18 years old and the daughter of a prostitute/thief. Father unknown.  That is all well and good.  I can play that.  The problem is she has a revenge and lost love element in her backstory that was part of Tim's bane or boon chart.  I am not entirely sure how to play that.  I know how to check for traps, climb a wall, and put a dagger in your back but when it comes to roleplaying things of a more emotional nature I am a complete noob.

The other thing is do I want to play her as a greedy thief  who steals from her party members or gets the best loot before the other thief does or maybe a bit more jaded and wise beyond her years type of thing?  Given her life on the cruel streets my guess is the latter. I may want to play her more of a spy/assassin type rather than a common thief digging through pockets for any old bauble. I will leave that to the other thief in the group.  He is as dumb as a stump.  He may be useful.   If the other members play correctly they won't trust me but I don't want it to be too strained if that makes any sense.

At any rate, I am really thrilled to be playing again.  The computer has been my DM for far too long.




3 comments:

  1. I'd go for the second option, makes a more interesting character and less annoyance to other players. As for the love/revenge thing, does it have to be a person? In Neverwinter Nights 2, the tiefling thief has a revenge thing going because of a lucky penny that was stolen by another thief. Maybe your love is an object, a prized possession, maybe the only clue to your father, that was stolen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, it is a person. It was her childhood sweetheart who was murdered and she must avenge his death. At any rate, it should be a challenge and hopefully fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Simon that you don't want to annoy the other players (too much, anyway!).

    The broken-heart/revenge issue isn't one that needs to be confronted right from the off. As I said the other day I have 'long-term' goals for this campaign and your sub-plot is a useful seed for me to work with at a later date.

    For the first few sessions I'd suggest letting Alys find her feet with this group of strangers she has attached herself to and then take it from ;)

    ReplyDelete