Sunday, 25 December 2011

SW:TOR-Briefly

I was in Rift this morning playing my baby cleric when the guild leader comes on-line with a new account.  He had inherited said account from a real life friend who had left Rift to play SW:TOR. Really?

I played Star Wars The Old Republic briefly in the last beta phase and I just don't get what the hype is about.  I was really rather bored with it all.  Nothing left me in awe.  Graphically, it was meh.  I play on max settings (/smug) and was underwhelmed.

The neatest thing was the sound of the lightsabers. I spent the rest of the afternoon making that sound to my cats so that is something.

Combat was dull. At level 2 one can kill multiple mobs at once.  Clearly developed around the impatience of young men who generally like to AoE everything in sight.  I prefer a challenge when I take on multiple mobs. The whole will I or won't I live thing.

I really get annoyed by desert/barren type environs in any game if they are red/orange and there was far too much of that from what I saw.  Only Fallen Earth does barren really well.

The map was crap. Futuristic shouldn't mean illegible.  Maybe I am just getting old but the icons were far too tiny.  Currently most MMOs give you access to the quest item you need for a certain task in the quest tracking window.  Not so with SW:TOR.  I had to dig around in my bags which is all well and good if it was 2004.

I am going to pass on SW:TOR for now.  It would have been nice to have a sci-fi MMO to play but this one isn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment